Gosman's Dock in Montauk, NY was founded in 1943 by Robert and Mary Gosman. At the time, the Gosmans were fish packers and "fishdrummers" (agents for Fulton Market). The Gosmans family bought the properties in 1950 and additional land in 1958. The restaurant started out as a chowder stand, specializing in lobster rolls. The wholesale lobster and fish business and the quality of the seafood encouraged the family (five sons and a daughter) to develop the Gosman's Restaurant and Clam Bar to what it is today. As the restaurant developed, clothing and gourmet food shops and tourist services were added.